While the number of roles that a board fulfils varies, there are necessarily two broad roles for every board. The first, and most discussed role, is its monitoring role. The second, and much less investigated role, is the board’s service role.
Optimal strategy formation requires in-depth knowledge of the organisation and its environment.
- Board strategic decision-making
- Ex Ante and Ex Post Board and Managing conflict and Improving board decisions
- Review and evaluation for optimal performance and Personal development
- Identify the board’s ability to scan the operating environment, think strategically and adapt as necessary;
- Review how well the board performs its key roles and how successful it has been;
- Develop strategies for personal development, conflict management, time management and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs);
- Review the learning and development needs of individual board members as well as the board as a whole;
- Address whether the board provides sufficient support, scrutiny and challenge to the executive management team.